Monday, November 16, 2020

I Don't Understand

I had to go to the hospital this morning for a procedure (Nothing serious. Just a follow-up.). I've been there once before since the world changed in March but it was obviously different today. Masks are mandatory, of course, and there was no problem at all finding parking in the parkade which is normally full. No one is allowed to accompany patients to the imaging area so waiting rooms are mostly empty and signage indicates appropriate social distancing.


I arrived early and spent a pleasant half-hour or so immersed in a new book on my Kindle while I waited. Not an altogether unpleasant way to pass the time. Of Literature and Lattes by Katherine Reay. I can already tell I'm going to enjoy this one.

The young woman who performed the procedure was new and accompanied by a senior person. It was interesting to listen to them talk back and forth about things I have absolutely no knowledge of and I couldn't help reflect upon the fact that once, not so very long ago, I engaged in technical work-related conversation that would have sounded like a foreign language to casual listeners too.

It highlighted for me, again, that I'm in a different season of life—one rich with new things but also of letting go. I don't suppose you can have one without the other. 

Once in a while, I dream about being at work and remember the feeling of competency I had in my career. These days I feel tossed to and fro like there's far more that I don't know than I do. Perhaps we all feel like that to some extent in these times.

Today, I'd just be happy if I could understand what my little puppy, Murphy, is thinking and why he's being so stubborn about getting in the game with potty training. Three cheers for belly bands.



P.S. It appears there are some glitches in Blogger functionality which is preventing me from tidying things up around here the way I want them to be. Sigh. All in good time. All in good time.


6 comments:

  1. I'm not familiar with belly bands but another blog I follow who is dealing with training a dog mentioned them. It is such an art to train a dog. Constant vigilance worked for us with limited areas of the house. Not sure who is training who LOL but at 10 months old our corgi hasn't had an accident inside in months :)

    I get you about competency with careers. For 40 years plus I did medical transcription and I understood the jargon and could "diagnose" family members with symptoms they had. Out of the field (not my choice) for about a year but still can hold my own when dealing with health care professionals. Hope the procedure went well with minimal complications/side effects.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We trained our girls with relative ease (at least that’s how I remember it!) but this boy is giving us a run for our money. We have only had him for a few weeks and he has some health issues which contribute to the challenge. Kudos to you on the successful training of your corgi! And yes, I agree with you. A big part of training a dog is training ourselves!

      Delete
  2. I was wandering around on my computer the other day and came across a class syllabus. I'd almost forgotten the name of all the texts I used to teach, never mind what was in them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life becomes something else after we retire, doesn’t it? Thanks so much for stopping by, Marty.

      Delete
  3. I'm looking forward to reading your thoughts here. After almost 40 years in the legal field, making sure attorneys knew what to do and when to do it, I retired feeling cast into a sea of "what am I supposed to do now."

    Unfortunately, I've never had to train a puppy and the kitties we've had have always seemed to know what the litter box is for right away. Praying Murphy will catch on soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for coming by, Sherrey! I retired, grateful, but with much the same feeling. It is an adjustment. Enjoyed reading your post this morning.

      Delete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment and letting me know you dropped by!